Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Let the Green Grass Grow...

and I'm not talkin 'bout rollin doobies!!!! So many peeps have asked to see pics of my place since they aren't willing to come visit us. Here is a little description of what's going on around where we live.

Have you ever woke up in the morning, and it smelled like someone had been dead in your room for quite a while? If you haven't my friends, you're missing out. This is a one of a kind place to live. We have a beautiful back drop of the Wasatch Mtns to the east of us. We have a really nice view of that 'cause there isn't anything in the way behind us....just cows and a dairy farm. You can imagine the smell that comes from all the cows (but that's not even the worse of it). Some of the cows have become friends with me. I drop the weeds in my yard over the fence, and they run over to eat them. It's a good way to dispose of them without filling up my garbage can. One day, I jumped over the fence and one cow took a liking to me. She came up to me, so I petted her on the head but I think that ticked her off. The cows don't look so large from a distance. On their grounds, though, she put a little fear into me. She tried bumpin me but I jumped to the side. The pretty big, lil cow kept coming after me. I summoned my wife over to distract the cow from the other side of the fence so I could hop back into my yard. The cow was really strong and I didn't really want to find out what it wanted to do to me so I made my escape. I really felt my life was in danger. Alright, tis true, I didn't feel that way, but the fat, stinky thing would have smushed me.

Back to the area. On pretty much each side, our housing community is surrounded by farm land. The aromas, smells and bugs are second to none. It's almost like I'm camping on a continual basis but get to shower everyday! Ahhh, the mosquitoes. They really come out in full force this time of year when the farmers flood the fields for the cows. Don't go out past seven without the repellent. They'll eat you alive.

Just to the west of us, we get the sweet drifting smell of the Great Salt Lake. That is a one of a kind smell. For those of you who have never experienced that, give me a call, plan a va-ca out here, and I'll let you smell the pleasantries of it from the porch of my home.

Also west of us (not quite as far as the Salt Lake), we have a thing called the Sewage Treatment Center (Plant or whatever). I tell you what, when the flood gates open on that baby, the smell is just ripe to sweeten the evening air as the sun goes down. Quite exhilarating . The smell singes the hair in your nostrils at times.

So imagine this; on a cool Sunday evening, you and the misses feeling like taking a walk around the neighborhood. The sun's drawing ever close to the horizon reflecting off of the mountains to the east. It looks like a marvelous time to get outside. You both step outside and head down the street. Others are out walking as well 'cause it is truly a beautiful evening. Once out, you feel the presence of those pesky lil' mosquitoes around you. As you walk up the street, your nostrils catch a whiff of the joyous smell from the lake just a few miles to the west. As if that weren't enough, the sewer plant thinks that the smell from the lake is not strong enough, they open their lines and let an aroma like no other into the evening air. By now, your walk that started out so serene and enjoyable, is now clogged by the smells floating all around. The two smells from the lake and plant combine and combine to make a smell that can't really be described. As you end the near the end of your anticipated time outside, the dairy farm, a rock throw away, takes on an unusually bad smell as well. Just when you thought two was bad, three becomes unstomachable (don't think that's a word, but it should be). With your smelling sense at the brink of being ruined, the smells make you want to upchuck the lovely dinner you just had. This is Tuscany Meadows. Not a plush green vegetated neighborhood you might be thinking about in Italy, but a smelly good time in Syracuse, UT.

So there it is. This is where we have made a house a home (for the time being). But seriously, we like it here. If it weren't for the commute into downtown, we'd really like it here. We enjoy our neighbors and like the house. We actually like living off the beaten path, too. We've been working to get our yard in and, at the end of April, put down grass seed. Now we have weeds and seed growing in together. It's coming in nicely. We can't wait to have thick grass all around the house. We're a bit tired of the dirt and dust all around us so this will be nice. Maybe on a blog to come, I'll write how and why the getting the yard process took this long. That'll be interesting. So this is our house. It's fun having a house, but I'd recommend one that already has it's yard done unless you have the cash to pay someone to do it. It's gonna be tough moving into something smaller when we have to....but until then....signing off from Syracuse!!!!

No comments: